Thanks to Cenci for the dinner idea!
Big Skillet
4-5 Pork Chops (this depends on which kind you use, I generally use the thinnner ones with or without the bone, if you use the cutlet type ones, might want more)
1.5 cups of rice
3 cups of chicken broth
*More or less Veggies to taste, can also use others (Bell peppers, mushrooms,sweet peas etc)
3 stalks celery
half onion
a bunch of diced garlic
Safflower oil
Get Cooking!
*Heat a TSP or slightly more of oil in skillet and put in Pork chops on med-high or high heat and brown on both sides. If you're using the thinner chops, this won't take long! If you're using thicker cutlets, lower the heat some because it'll take longer for them to cook.
*Remove chops from pan, add diced 'n sliced veggies and saute for a moment, then add uncooked rice and scrape up all the brown stuff on the bottom of the pan and stir it all together and let it all saute together. Don't burn!
*Add chicken broth, stir well
*Place chops on top of rice/broth/veggie mixture, put lid on, lower to medium and simmer for at least 30 minutes. This is where the patience comes in. If you don't do it long enough, the rice will be crunchy, and yes, this is the voice of experience talking.
Variation Thoughts
For a more Asian style dish, use asian veggies and chop the pork into cubes, add a few dashes of soy or teriyaki sauce and some water chestnuts. (Chris's Idea)
I suspect this can be finished off in the oven, I think I'll try that next time. I seem to be much more patient when I've got stuff in the oven vs. stovetop cooking.
I see no reason this can't be done also with chicken!
No comments:
Post a Comment