Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Homeschooling Thoughts

After much reading and thought, I've finally decided on a curriculum that I think will work for us. We're going to do Calvert Academic and Math Mammoth. I like the calvert because it is very structured, for both student and instructor. I have read alot of reviews for Calvert on many different websites and the structure doesn't work for some people but I think it will be good for us. The boys are done with the Calvert placement tests except for the composition and I think we will work on that next week or the week after depending on how busy Arkansas is. They took the MM placement tests and did not score well. We're going to work this summer on math skills and retake placements at the end of the summer and see how they do so we can get started with the actual math mammoth.

There are sooo many resources available online, its amazing. I feel confident the boys and I will do well and the boys will be better for it. Everyone is worried about the socialization aspect of homeschooling. I've been nosing around for homeschooling groups and there are several in our area, as well as Cub Scouts, and plus playdates with their friends in the neighborhood, I feel like we have it covered. I was also thinking about 4H but I'm not sure about how that works when you don't live out in the country, its not as if we could raise a hog in the back yard ;)

Returning to public school is always an option if homeschooling does not work for whatever reason. Homeschooling is not an end all and be all solution, but I feel at this time it would be the best for the boys.

No comments: